FIGHT CLUB

ENG I've never considered myself a "manly" man. I mean, I'm a man, yeah, I like being a man, but I...

ENG

I've never considered myself a "manly" man. I mean, I'm a man, yeah, I like being a man, but I don't think I'm close to the stereotypical manly of the macho man. There was a time in my life when I would beat myself up for it and get frustrated because I couldn't be the manly man I was "supposed" to be . You see... growing up in a Latin American country means, if you're a man, to be constantly bombarded with the idea that a man has to be the perpetual Latin lover who gets all the girls and is really strong and sometimes violent, in simple words, you are constantly told to be an alpha male.
When I came out for the first time (yup, I had to do it twice) to my dad when I was 13 he told me he would sign me up for boxing classes. I can imagine he thought it would give me the tough behavior I was lacking  and, miraculously, change my sexual preference in the process... and I don't blame him for thinking that, I mean, 40 years ago, the gender roles' social stereotypes were intensely more instilled in Venezuelan society than they are now, so thinking that a gay man can be turned straight for practicing boxing was pretty much a common thing.

Now... all this rant I'm setting on in this post came out for a comment Pablo (you must know who he is by this time now) made when we saw this pictures, he said I looked "virile, manly, Fight Club-like", even when I had on almost every piece of accessory I own and I painted my brows blue with make up.  So for me to hear that I looked somewhat manly in one photo is really weird, I know I normally put on a tough face in some photos but that's actually my go-to face when they ask me to pose for a pic for my blog, that's all I know about modeling. I never actually intend to look tougher in photos, in fact, to me, the ambivalence between femininity and masculinity is what makes us all much more interesting, it makes us much more diverse, interesting and even much more human. Getting to know a dude that's comfortable exploring his feminine side or a girl who's comfortable with going against what a female "should look like" for her to look feminine and girly, despite her sexuality, is awesome. People should be more like that, people should be less afraid, I'm pretty sure that way there wouldn't be that much sexual frustration going around in the world.

ESP

Nunca me he considerado a mí mismo como un hombre "masculino". Sí, soy hombre, me gusta ser hombre, pero no pienso que ni por el coño estoy cerca de ser un hombre masculino. Hubo algún momento en mi vida en la que me frustraba por no poder ser la versión machorra del hombre que se supone que "debía ser". Verás... crecer en un país latinoamericano significa, si eres un hombre, estar constantemente bombardeado por la idea de que un hombre debe ser el perpetuo latin lover que se folla a todas y además es fuerte y posiblemente violento, en pocas palabras, te educan para ser un macho alfa. Cuando le confesé por primera vez mi sexualidad a mi papá (tuve que hacerlo dos veces) cuando tenía 13 años me dijo que me metería a clases de boxeo. Puedo imaginar que pensó que eso me daría el comportamiento de macho man y milagrosamente cambiaría mi preferencia sexual... y no lo culpo por pensarlo, hace 40 años los estereotipos sociales de los roles de genero estaban mucho más intensamente inculcados en Venezuela de lo que están hoy en día, por eso, pensar que un hombre homosexual cambiaría su preferencia por practicar boxeo era bastante común.

Ahora, todo este debate que estoy comenzando en este post vino por un comentario que Pablo (ya debes saber quién es para este momento) hizo sobre una de las fotos de este look, me dijo que lucía "viril, masculino y como Fight Club", incluso cuando estaba usando casi todos los accesorios que tengo y me había maquillado las cejas de azul. Por eso, para mí, escuchar que luzco masculino en alguna fotografía es algo bastante extraño incluso cuando a veces pongo cara de matón en algunas fotos porque es lo único que sé sobre modelaje. Como yo lo veo, la ambivalencia entre la feminidad y la masculinidad dentro de una misma persona es lo que nos hace a todos mucho más interesantes, más diversos e incluso más humanos. Conocer a un hombre que está en confort explorando su femineidad o a una mujer que vaya en contra de las reglas que indican cómo es que debe lucir una señorita es genial. La gente debería ser más así, más abierta, les aseguro que hubieran menos frustrados sexuales por ahí sueltos.
Shirt -Zara
Pants - Kenneth Cole
Sneakers -Adidas
Accessories -Forever 21

Take a look around

0 comments